AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Acrylic or glass tank?

Acrylic or glass tank?

I am planning to buy a new 125gal tank. Would you buy acrylic or glass tank? Assuming that they are on the same price.

Last edited by wanderlust; 04-24-2017 at 11:36 PM.

I think for the same price, everyone would go acrylic... at least for a larger tank.
    - Jeremy

I would have to disagree

The only benefit of acrylic is weight... Acrylic scratches MUCH easier, the acrylic typically starts getting cloudy/hazy after 6-8 years, usually double the price or more then an equivalent glass aquarium.

We service over 1000 individual aquariums in the Southeast now. Have a good representation of glass and acrylic aquarium in that mix. We have many tanks that have been running 5-15 years. Sometimes more. The longevity on most acrylic aquariums is no where near that of glass aquariums. Most of the acrylic aquariums we service just do not look good after 5 years or so. And the very nice acrylic aquarium brands that do last a long time are going to cost you an arm and a leg... sometimes well over double compared to glass.

Also there is huge misconception that acrylic aquariums are stronger or less likely to leak. Being with Premier for over 6 years I can honestly say that is very far from the truth. If anything we probably have just as many leak emergencies through out the year on both glass and acrylic.

I think unless you are looking at doing an aquarium larger then 500 gallons stick to glass. I just don't see any point of paying double or triple the price for something that won't last quality wise.

Jakub
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

I bought a 55 acrylic several years ago thinking that it would be awesome. I hate that tank. In fact, it's currently empty & as soon as I get it cleaned up, I'm going to list it for sale. It scratches way too easily. Just leaning against it to do some aquascaping will scratch it if the button on your jeans drags across it. You have to be careful about the hardscape items & make sure that they cannot fall & scratch it & very careful adding/removing them from the tank. I did not experience any issues with inhabitants but have heard that some plecos will scratch it as well if they rasp on the sides.

I guess I will have to go with glass tank then considering the insights of Axio and Pawslovers. Thank you guys for enlightening me about this matter.

Good to know!
    - Jeremy