AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Unable to grow Anacharis and Cabomba

Unable to grow Anacharis and Cabomba

Hi everyone.
    I have a 25 gallon fresh water aquarium. I have LED lights that run from 8:00AM to 8:00PM. No algae, but I'm unable to grow Anacharis and Cabomba plants. They get stringy and die after a couple of weeks. I have some giant Sagittaria and a sword plant that seems to be prospering. I have C02 in my tank and also use CO2 Booster daily. I do weekly water changes and 3 week filter changes for my Fluval cannister filter. My pH levels are around 7.2 - 7.4. Can someone tell me what I'm missing.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Do you use any fertilizers?

I've only used plant tabs.

Unable to grow Anacharis and Cabomba

If you're doing CO2 and an excel type product, you need a lot more in the fertilizer section! I'd recommend EI Ferts, http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...rtilizers.html

They are very cheap and easy to mix yourself.

More info on EI http://greenleafaquariums.com/glanew...zation-method/

Blog Entries
    I don't think any of those plants need CO2 or ferts. What type of LED lighting are you using? Are you planting stems or floating them?

I'm with Len. Stop doing anything to make them grow.

My cabomba grows like the literal weed that it is...

In my 55, it grew with fluorescent shop lights that I never turned off, no ferts except overstocked livebearers, and pool sand substrate. 3 inches a day. Out competed cladaphora algae.
    My wife hated when the plants got tall enough to touch the top of the tank... literally every other day trimming the stuff.

MOVED ALL OF IT
    Literally grabbed all of it, wadded it into a couple of balls, and dropped it in the 75. I weighted the balls down by placing a rock on top of the wads.

In my 75, it grows with LED light strip that I never turn off, no ferts except some barbs and white clouds, and BD blasting sand substrate. Looks like two jungle pillars.
    - Jeremy

What is the temp in your tank ?these plants are cooler water plants.They do not do well in temps over the low to mid 70s .I resently saw anacharis growing in the Chattahoochee

Currently, my temp is 75 degrees.

Almost forgot, I have a
    Marineland Advanced LED Strip Light.

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions.

Michael