AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: API General Cure For Parasites?

API General Cure For Parasites?

Hi Friends,

I would appreciate any help you might be able to render as I'm not experienced with treating sick fish. About 2 weeks ago I purchased some otos from a local fish store that I won't name. A few days later I noticed a worm like organism floating in the water roughly the size of a penny in length and a pin size in width and wiggling. Before I could grab a camera, one of my guppies ate it. I immediately took the guppy out and put it in a bucket. Over the next couple of days, I lost 2 guppies, 1 oto, and the majority of my crystal red shrimp. Today I noticed another worm like organism floating in the water. A couple of the guppies also have long stringy white poop.

I have come to the conclusion that my tank has parasites and needs treatment. I was thinking of using API General Cure, but am worried about my 2 2 remaining crystal red shrimp and plants (anubias, amazon sword, java moss, hornwort).

Some information about my tank:
    Been running for about 2 months now using old filter media from Pierre
    10 adult guppies, dozens of fry
    1 Oto
    0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrite, 150 GH, 0 chlorine, 80 KH, 7.2 pH
    Tap water treated with overdose of prime
    Aquaclear 70g for a 20g tank

I'm really bummed I lost my CRS, and don't want to lose my guppies. Do you agree that it's a parasite? Can I use API General Cure with my plants, and 2 remaining CRS? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Eddie

Blog Entries
    Hey Eddie!

How are you testing your water? All zeros always makes me wonder if the tank is truly cycled. What is your water change and feeding schedule? It sounds like planaria or something similar if fish will eat them.

Best of luck to you and your fish.

Len

Thanks Len. I'm using Tetra strips. I know they aren't as accurate as the master test kit, but I use them for convenience. I feed them once a day, and do a 25% water change/week. If it were planaria, what would you recommend treating the tank with that would be safe for the plants and shrimp? Thanks again!