Many decades past I had an aquarium filled single level home. I had aquariums from 1 gallon up to an 800 gallon diy in the wall coral grow out tank.
Along came special needs child, and I took a hiatus.
This year I have returned! I am starting up my first planted freshwater aquarium.
I'm THRILLED!
Pictures below:
1) 42 bow, with 30 lbs of Florite, 1 7 year old freshwater driftwood that lived in a dried flower arrangement after it was baked overnight, and 3 zip lock bagged bricks (weigh downs while branch saturates).

2,3, and 4) diy refugium I'm building from a 29 gallon. Removed ceramic tile, and replaced with cut up ten gallon glass plates. Cat litter box is to be the "dry" anarobic part of the refugium, under , through matrix and AC, over to the middle. Over, through a sponge, under and returned to the "show" tank.
The box will be connected to the overflow I'm also going to build, with a ball valve. 5 gallons of bio balls, with 3M scrubbies to polish. Also using extra batting for more straining.
5) Two of these, a U tube, and hose will connect these as overflow box to the refugium.
6) Return power head.

So there's my system. The power head is currently circulating the water in the tank, and a buddy lent me and old cartridge from his otb filter to get the cycle going.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?
Janie in Savannah.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk