AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Fiberglass strips for aquarium framework fix.

Fiberglass strips for aquarium framework fix.

I have a 46 bow front, when I moved it last week, the framework cracked in several places and the bottom corner broke off.
    Can I use fiberglass strips to strengthen and fix these issues?
    Would this be freshwater fish safe once cured?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    eclecticjanie

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eclecticjanie View Post
    I have a 46 bow front, when I moved it last week, the framework cracked in several places and the bottom corner broke off.
    Can I use fiberglass strips to strengthen and fix these issues?
    Would this be freshwater fish safe once cured?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    eclecticjanie

In theory, yes. Fiberglass is glass fiber covered in polyester resin that has been dissolved in solvent. Drive all the solvent off, and the resin should be stable and inert. However, products aimed at outdoor use may have additives that could be fish toxic. Also, test the broken off part to make sure the solvent doesn't dissolve the trim you want to keep.
    I wouldn't worry if you are only fixing the outside bottom of the tank. But be careful with water contact parts like the center brace. I repaired one center brace with aluminum strips and a two part epoxy. Epoxies are very strong and inert when cured, but they use amines to cure, so a full cure and rinse is essential. Other people use glass to replace the center brace.

I suggest you look into replacement trim. If it cracked once, its likely to break again. Trim can get brittle when old, kept in a hot place like a shed or in direct sunlight. Bowfronts are harder to find trim for, but you may get lucky. Look for a manufacturer sticky between the trim and bottom glass.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/

Usually cheaper to replace the trim then to mess trying to fix it and still worry about it cracking again.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
    http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/

Usually cheaper to replace the trim then to mess trying to fix it and still worry about it cracking again.
    They don't do bow front frames. Thanks though!

I didn't know they are adding additives that could be toxic to fish to fiberglass. Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieJeff View Post
    I didn't know they are adding additives that could be toxic to fish to fiberglass. Thanks for the heads up.
    I don't know for certain that they do, but things intended for boats often are made as mildew resistant as possible. So check with the maker before using anything in contact with your tank's water. Look for things labeled food safe.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk