AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Aquarium enthusiast just now getting involved with community

Aquarium enthusiast just now getting involved with community

Hello my name is Casey.

IMG_20171027_132110.jpg

I have been to two auctions and one regular meeting. But, you will be seeing me a lot more. Lots of my fish are south american that I breed so kinda excited for the category for next year for the award program. Not looking for anything in particular other than enjoy the hobby, enrich my knowledge and maybe make some friends in the process.

I am a data scientist by day but aquarium hoarder the rest of the time. I did research in mathematical biology and computational ecology in undergrad and grad school which is what got me into aquariums. I studied ponds, lakes and other water ecosystems and in particular the relationship between plants and animals. I think I just brought the laboratory / simulations home in little pretty clear boxes.

I currently am running 8 aquariums. Most are community tanks but not all. I describe some of them below.

29 gallon community tank with hob refugium filled with terrestrial plants in hydroponic media.
    • neon tetras, endlers, corries, cherry shrimp.
    • finnex 24/7
    • aquaclear 70
    • sun sun 302 canister filter with output into refugium with plants

IMG_20171023_090327.jpg

7 gallon community tank
    • celestial danios and cherry shrimp
    • finnex fugeray+ clip on light
    • aquaclear 20

IMG_20171004_214941.jpg

33 gallon semi high tech and 29 gallon grow out
    33 gallon

• male krib, endlers, algae eaters and some cherry shrimp but they shouldn't be there and are eaten by krib if seen
    • 2 marineland penguin 350
    • finnex 48 inch 24/7
    • aquatop paintball co2

29 gallon
    • endlers at the moment but it rotates
    • aquaclear 70
    • a led light from home depot
    • this tank generates algae for me to grow lots of snails for assassins in other tanks.

IMG_20171022_134548 (1).jpg

10 gallon breeding tank
    • F1 pair of Laetacara dorsigera from Bob Major evidently according to facebook.
    • aquaclear 20
    • finnex stingray
    • so much subwassertang

IMG_20171023_190415.jpg

Additionally I have...
    • 10 gallon tank
    • 20 gallon long with just cherry shrimp
    • 20 gallon long I set up yesterday to use for growing out the a huge batch of the fry from the laetacara that just bred on me.

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    Aren't the dorsigera cool little fish? :) I had a 'pair' but it turned out to be two males so I eventually sold them off.

I really like how well your plants are doing in the hydroponic setup, they're very exuberant! Thank you for sharing all the details, and I hope you can make it to our future meetings (we have them about once a month at the Windy Hill Community Center in Smyrna, GA).

Welcome aboard Casey! I remember meeting you, but I'm not sure which event it was. Awesome setups! Any ideas of what all you want to breed for the ABC Contest?

Quote Originally Posted by heatherbeast View Post
    Aren't the dorsigera cool little fish? :) I had a 'pair' but it turned out to be two males so I eventually sold them off.

I really like how well your plants are doing in the hydroponic setup, they're very exuberant! Thank you for sharing all the details, and I hope you can make it to our future meetings (we have them about once a month at the Windy Hill Community Center in Smyrna, GA).
    The plants are old. About 4 years of growth. Some are lucky bamboo, the tallest plants. They were originally just 6 inches tall or so. The other plant is a peace lilly. The combo is nice because one grows more vertical and the other more horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
    Welcome aboard Casey! I remember meeting you, but I'm not sure which event it was. Awesome setups! Any ideas of what all you want to breed for the ABC Contest?
    I have two fish that breed. The endlers which are from Venezuela. Like a guppy(I have a few that mixed with a few guppies in a hospital tank) but more dimorphic and small males. The other was the laetacara that bred on me that I got from the auction. So, both of those are south american. The only other species that breeds is my cherry shrimp. I have hundreds... But they are from Asia.

Welcome. I love Laetacara Dorsiger. I'll probably buy some from you when you have young ones for sale.