AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Heater w digital controller

Heater w digital controller

Hello 4A friends-- Typically I remove the heaters from my 3 tanks during the warm months. Last month I reinstalled them. I found to my surprise that my 150W Finnex submsersible Titanium Digital Controll Heater (HMO-150) had become very inaccurate, after 1 year of use. When the controller showed that it was 81 F, the actual tank temp was 73.5 deg! I checked the tank temp with a mercury thermometer and also my cheap LCD thermometer. Is it possible somehow to re-set this heater? Or is it a complete loss. Has anyone experience with this model? Can you please advise me of a more reliable replacement? Thanks for your advice!

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    Hello hello. What size tank is your 150W in? What is the ambient temperature of the room the heater is in? You will generally need 3 watts per gallon to be able to heat a tank to a set point about 9*F warmer than the room it is in. For tanks that are in basements, garages, or if you have fish that just love tropical water (85*F or warmer), you'll want 5 watts per gallon if you want to get the temp to about 15-18*F warmer than room temp. I have had excellent luck with JBJ Manufacturing's titanium heaters, which have served me WELL for the past 6+ years.
    Last edited by heatherbeast; 11-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Thank you for your information. The tank is only 20g and it is located in my basement. Basement temp is 68 deg F. Unless there is some way to re-set the Finnex heater I will have to replace it because the controller reading is so inaccurate with respect to the tank water temp. I would appreciate any other suggestions for a replacement heater with external controller.

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    Eheim Jaeger heaters are readily available at most chain pet stores.

I decided to buy the Aqueon 100106107 Pro Adjustable Heater, 150 Watt because it had a plastic instead of glass body. I would like to know if any 4A members have experience with this unit. Do members advise buyin a temperature controller to connectto their inexpensive heaters, in case of overheating? Thanks for any additional comments about heaters!

Only brand that I personally trust is the Ehiem Jager. All the cheap heaters from Marineland, Aqueon, Topfin, etc scare me way too much too use them. Marineland had that massive recall 6-7 years ago and I hear alot of horror stories about the Aqueon heaters lately.

My recommendation would be either go for a Ehiem Jager if you want a tradition style heater. If not get a titanium on a good quality controller. Via Aqua, JBJ, and Aquatop are all the same titanium heater just re-branded. Either of those 3 brands will work very well. Titanium will always be the best and safest choice since it is hooked up to a controller. Never personally used anything from the Finnex brand so I can not comment on those specifically.

Jakub
    Last edited by aXio; 11-27-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Thanks very much for this information. I wish I had received your post before I purchased the Aqueon. It will arrive soon and I will post about my experience with this unit.

I used to have great experience w/ Aqueon. However, I have had several bad batches lately. They don't stop working - they just don't turn off and they cook the fish. I will only use my Aqueon's now if they are significantly undersized and then I use multiple ones.

If any other 4A members have experience with this or other heaters, I would be very interested in their opinions!