AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: aquariums 4 sell.

I know Greg well, we went to school together. Hes managing the lakes i think. Those lakes have always had such incredible potential. management is a huge component if you want large fish. Thats what i studied in college. Bass can grow more than 1lb a year when smaller for sure a 5lb 3 year old fish isnt out of the question. but they gotta have A LOT of food, and less competition then usual.

The one near Duluth, we are stocking forage species pretty heavily with a good breeding population of gizzard and threadfin shad. Few thousand pounds of crawfish were added last year with more planned next year. And the 3-6" bluegill were added to the existing population to bolster next years spawn. We are actively culling any bass under 16" so pretty much up to three pounds should be culled.
    I think the big fish of the lake last year was somewhere around 6lbs and 12ozs, though I have seen some going along the chapel dock chasing shad that could have been bigger.
    Last edited by likestofish; 01-06-2018 at 02:32 PM.

sounds like you guys will have a great fishery in just a few short seasons.
    gizzard shad can ruin a lake rather quickly. they grow so big a lot of fish
    will go for the much smaller threadfin's. the gizzards, as I'm told, will
    ambush beds in the spring after they get to be of bigger size.

ive seen two lakes that had reputations as of once being good bass lakes
    that were heavy populated with gizzards. not sure if they have anything to
    do with each other but I was asking about the gizzards and that's when I
    was told about gizzards and the bedding issues. they just get out of check rather
    quickly I'm told.

good thing is the addition of craw fish there for sure.
    wide shoulders are usually where bigger bass are found.

you fish from a kayak there? great lake for it.

Honestly I don't think we're too worried about them raiding beds, the population is more then healthy at this point so were working on size. I havent seen any giant gizzards yet just max about 4" though did catch some 6" threadfins the year before in my nets.
    We'll probably put in another thousand pounds in the spring as well. I just fish from the bank and occasionally from someone's boat, can catch a decent amount from the bank access I have.

if you have opportunity try fishing that lake from a kayak. you might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricksconnected View Post
    if you have opportunity try fishing that lake from a kayak. you might like it.
    I have two jackson kayaks. you are welcome to borrow. Im in Marietta tho, a good 45 minutes from berkley.
    As for the gizards raiding beds - in a trophy management pond, thats ok, because you want less recruitment of new bass anyway. More larger fish.....if a pond hold 100 lbs of bass, it can be 100 1 lb fish or 50 2lb fish, or 10 10lb fish....or a combo obviously. The shad up the number of bass a pond can hold healthily (more food opportunities), and furthermore, the shad are more pelagic, i imagine the lake has some stripers too as big as it is, so that more what they would be for.

While the main lake is very deep, we don't have striper or anything other then largemouth and crappies yet. We are talking about stocking trout and hybrid in the next year. Lakes going about 80 acres so we do have a lot of space for fish though and figuring out future stocking plans.

Quote Originally Posted by likestofish View Post
    While the main lake is very deep, we don't have striper or anything other then largemouth and crappies yet. We are talking about stocking trout and hybrid in the next year. Lakes going about 80 acres so we do have a lot of space for fish though and figuring out future stocking plans.
    no concerns then about the shad. It should be the talk of the town in 3-5 years then!!