AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: OTOs Breeding

OTOs Breeding

I got 7 otos at an auction 2 or 3 years ago. All survived and are an awesome group of otos. I have them in 15 gal by themselves with one small BN. Today I found 4 tiny little critters sucking on the tank walls. I have to assume they are otos. I am so excited. I will have to remove the HOB filter today to make sure none are in it before I put a pre-filter over the intake but any help with how to raise them would be appreciated.

Wow that's really rare to happen, must have the perfect tank for them. Just feed the same as the adults, maybe some blanced or soaked veggies like kale and zucchini

I was really surprised they bred. I did not do anything to encourage it. They may have done it before but until fall they have shared the tank with a few Black Moscow guppies which possibly ate the oto fry. Pure guess on that though. The otos get zucchini and sinking veggie sticks along with brine shrimp and blood worm sticks all the time. I hope the kids like this as well.

They probably will, just on a smaller scale. I feel a lot of the time with armored catfish breeding them is the hard part and raising them is fairly straightforward.

Otos are unusual, but do breed pretty easily. You know how to breed cory cats, do just the same. The young will graze on the foods you already provide. a health older tank with a good biofilm is the best for them though. some decap brine shrimp may be good, but itll be tough for them to find in a tank with gravel and such. Id say keep the tank light on a little longer, or do a refugium with plants and rocks 24 hours a day with light and move the plants and rocks into the tank they are in.

Ive not bred otos yet, but ill try one day.

They have a heavily planted tank with R/O water. Plenty of biofilm to graze on as I have a bit of an alae problem in most of my tanks due to going to work at 7 in the morning and not turning the tank lights off until 6 pm most of the days. I have tried to resolve that problem by not turning the lights on in some tanks all day until I get home every other day but the oto tank was not on that schedule. I have aslo tried to downsize my tanks for years now and every time I do ok something breeds. This time it looks like the otos are it, lol. My learning lesson from this is, neglect your tanks and you will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldnfish View Post
    They have a heavily planted tank with R/O water. Plenty of biofilm to graze on as I have a bit of an alae problem in most of my tanks due to going to work at 7 in the morning and not turning the tank lights off until 6 pm most of the days. I have tried to resolve that problem by not turning the lights on in some tanks all day until I get home every other day but the oto tank was not on that schedule. I have aslo tried to downsize my tanks for years now and every time I do ok something breeds. This time it looks like the otos are it, lol. My learning lesson from this is, neglect your tanks and you will succeed.
    you cant neglect a tank if you are using r/o water....ha!! let me know if you want to trade some of the weitzmani!! ive been after them for some time

My weitzsmani have not bred in a while. So they are not for sale.
    Just pets.

Have you considered getting timer power strips for your lights? I have all my lights on them so I can do split schedules for algae control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should but I am trying to downsize and don't want to invest any more money than I have to. I have resorted to leaving the lights off every other day in some tanks and on those days to just turn them on for 2 hours in the evening while I feed and tend to the fish. I hope that gets most of the algae under control again. But the oto tank is on 12 hours every day to cause some algae build up. So far the baby otos are doing fine. I have counted at least 8 but there may be more.