AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Looking For Porthole Catfish

Looking For Porthole Catfish

I am having trouble finding these guys locally. I really do not want to order online with the shipping charge so willing to drive a little if I can find some anywhere from the Atlanta to Chattanooga area.

Anyone know of a store that carries them? Or just happen to have some for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Premier. http://premieraquatics.net/

They probably don't have them in store, but can probably order them in for you.

I decided to go with bumblebee catfish. Fish Mania in East Ridge, TN that is about 30 minutes from my house has them.

Unfortunately, the worker that said they had a group of bumblebees didn’t know the difference between them and upside down catfish. When I got there, they only had one bumblebee.
    So, I called Premier this morning to get on the special order list for both to see what comes in.
    If they both come in, does anyone have experience to share that would help me pick one over the other?
    They are for a new 75g setup that is cycled and getting ammonia to hold it while I get stock through quarantine. (Working on scape and plants in the meantime ) It cycled in one week which is a record for me. I added an existing aqua clear 110 that had been running on another tank and an aqua-tech that came with the tank with filter cartridges from other tank and a bottle of TSS+. So the filters were well seeded with beneficial bacteria and the TSS+ was probably overkill. I will replace the aqua-tech with a canister when my budget allows.

Here is the stocking in the order I plan to add the fish.

12 neon rainbows (in qt)
    3 porthole or 6 bumblebee catfish
    1 large angelfish (either Smokey Blue or Black Lace from my 55g)
    2 Electric Blue Acara (breeding pair in qt)
    1 blood parrot
    1 or 2 warm temp pleco - maybe Peckoltia baureri if I can find them once tank is more established

Feel free to point out any issues you may see with this stocking or order of additions. I am here to learn and do what is best for my fish, not just what I want.

Thanks!

They only had one bumblebee catfish in east ridge. So, I called Premier yesterday morning to get on the special order list for both to see what comes in.

If they both come in, does anyone have experience to share that would help me pick one over the other? I am leaning towards porthole catfish to better fit into what I have planned.

They are for a new 75g setup that is cycled and getting ammonia to hold it while I get stock through quarantine.

Here is the stocking in the order I plan to add the fish.

12 neon rainbows (in qt)
    3 to 6 porthole or 6 bumblebee catfish
    1 large angelfish (either Smokey Blue or Black Lace from my 55g)
    2 Electric Blue Acara (breeding pair in qt)
    1 blood parrot (not purchased yet)
    1 or 2 warm temp small pleco - maybe Peckoltia baureri if I can find them.

Feel free to point out any issues you may see with this stocking or order of additions. I am here to learn and do what is best for my fish, not just what I want.

Thanks!

I have some Ancistrus Cirrhosis (Bristlenose catfish) juveniles both albino & brown speckled if interested

Quote Originally Posted by dgamadanis View Post
    I have some Ancistrus Cirrhosis (Bristlenose catfish) juveniles both albino & brown speckled if interested
    Thanks! I already have 2 albino females in my 120g and 1 brown male in my 45g. I am looking to get something different that I do not already have. I also have a blue eyed yellow male bn in my 30g.

Still looking for porthole catfish. They did not come in the freshwater order at Premier this week......

Well, I decided to get some albino marble hoplos off of trinsfish. Apparently, porthole catfish are available seasonably and this is not the season for them. I did not want to wait to add them later after the cichlids I will be stocking in that tank.