AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Long time no see!

Long time no see!

Hi folks!

I originally joined the forums in 2012 right when I was getting into keeping aquariums. Back then I had a 55 gallon planted community that I had a lot of fun with. After a couple of years the tank bottom cracked and started leaking all over the floor. I caught it before it made too huge of a mess and I was able to move everyone over to a 29 gallon tank that I had recently set up. For various reasons (including several mistakes on my part) it never did particularly well. I can say I certainly learned a lot about what NOT to do on that one. Since then I have only had a 5 gallon Betta tank, but lately I've been eying the empty 29 gallon and I think I'm ready to do something with it.

I popped by Petland Dunwoody recently and saw that they have stopped selling fish and plants, which bummed me out pretty hard. They were really close to me and had lots of plants and fish so they were my go-to spot most of the time. Fortunately Premier is relatively close to me as well so I'll have to go by there and check out their stock.

A while back I saw some really cool looking Betta sorority (all female) setups and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I've been doing a good bit of reading on setting them up and I believe I'm ready. I'm thinking around 9 to 11 females with a school of Panda Corys as well. I really love planted tanks, so this one is going to be heavily planted which should also help provide cover. Currently I'm planning to go with a dirt substrate capped with sand.

I haven't fully planned out all the plants yet, but so far I'm looking at Scarlet Temple, Nesaea Golden, and a bunch of Crypts. I've also always wanted to do a carpet of something, but I'm not sure what will be a good choice for this tank.

I'm also interested in participating in the association this time around (yay financial stability!), so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you in February.

Board Of Directors
    Welcome to AAAA. Looking forward to seeing pic's of the Betta tank setup and hope all goes well. Looking forward to seeing you at a future meeting as well.
    Stewart

Yeah, Petland dropped fish two or three years ago.

Hang on to some spare small tanks, female bettas usually get along, but you always have to have a plan B when dealing with anabantids.

Also, be careful with that dirt plan... do a lot of research. Dirt is messy quick.
    You do not need dirt to grow any plant; you can grow them in gravel or sand.
    However, if you are dead set on trying it, do not let me talk you out of it.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
    - Jeremy

Welcome to the forum! I just joined last week myself and seriously considering joining the association.
    I would love to see pictures of your new setup when you get it up and running. Sounds awesome.
    The only advice I can offer is to check the temperature needs of the sorority tank mates. Planet catfish has pandas at a lower temperature range topping out at 77 while betta need to be at 78-80, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by tfreema View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I just joined last week myself and seriously considering joining the association.
    I would love to see pictures of your new setup when you get it up and running. Sounds awesome.
    The only advice I can offer is to check the temperature needs of the sorority tank mates. Planet catfish has pandas at a lower temperature range topping out at 77 while betta need to be at 78-80, right?

Ahh, good catch, thanks! Looks like the only Corydoras that do well in the temperature range of Bettas that I will likely have access to are going to be c. sterbai. There are a couple of others I've run across in my brief looking but they seem to be pretty rare.

@Mog Carns
    I have a little bit of experience with using dirt in the 5 gallon tank I still have up and know that it can make a mess if you aren't careful. I'm not one to really rearrange my aquariums a lot so I don't think it will be too much trouble for this tank. I'm not 100% committed to dirt yet, but I'm feeling pulled fairly strongly towards it at the moment. I've certainly got a good bit more research to do before I put this tank together though. I also have a couple of other 5 gallon tanks and some breeder baskets I can use if I need to separate out any one who is too aggressive.
    Last edited by jairuncaloth; 01-29-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Any aenus corydoras would be temp compatible. Bronze and albino are the most common.

corys can really make a mess in a tank with sand and soil .the soil will not be under the sand for long.If you decide to go this way I would suggest you buy dirt that is sold for planting water lilies .Most soils have tree and plant matter that float and make a mess .The water lily soil does not contain floating matter.I get it at Randys Gardens in Lawrenceville

Corys making a mess of the dirt is something that has crossed my mind. Currently I'm planning on doing mineralized topsoil, which includes adding clay to the soil to help keep it from floating all over the place, but I'm going to have to check out the water lily soil. Thanks for the tip!