Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Salt?

I have read and heard people suggest I use salt in my freshwater aquariums. What are your views and what kind of salt can or do you use? I have a shrimp and crayfish tank, and a few cichlid tanks.

Thanks in advance,

You do not need to add salt to a freshwater tank. I have never used it except when treating an illness.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Only time I use salt is when somethings wrong, either illness or injury. Now though they might be saying you need some sort of buffer to increase pH and gH though.

Same as above. If there are no issues with your creatures, leave the salt on the table.

Thanks, I had a message from someone saying I needed it in my shrimp tank and so I thought I would double check.

I use salt in my African tanks. In my shrimp tanks, I just use tap water or possibly RO water with a demineralization depending on species. I do have some mineral balls in my shrimp tanks to aid in the development of shells. Have never heard anything about using salt in shrimp tanks.

My pH is 7.5 if I don't do anything with my water. I remove chlorine using pharmaceutical vitamin c, and that's it.