AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to Put Out Containers with Fish?

Any advice on keeping dragonfly larvae out of my tubs? I realize that I could put screen over the top but I would like to have mosquito larvae for the guppies to feed on but don't want dragonfly nymphs feeding on my guppies. I had almost an entire tub of Blue Moscow fry consumed by the little monsters a few years ago and I haven't put guppies outside since then. I know that dragonflies are beneficial, but I don't want to feed my guppies to them. I was wondering if a top made from hardware cloth or chicken wire would allow mosquitos in and keep the dragonflies out. I am also concerned about the effects of the metal over the water when it rains. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I have had issues with dragonfly larvae too. I wasnt completely emptying my tubs from year to year and that was a problem. They were surviving in all the leaf litter. I emptied all that this year. Also only put my plants into pots. Hoping that the lack of substrate will help keep their numbers down.

My current issues are frogs and tadpoles. Are they harmful to my fish or fry? There are hundreds of tadpoles. They're small now but I'm unsure if they would eat my fry or out compete them. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cswain123 View Post
    I have had issues with dragonfly larvae too. I wasnt completely emptying my tubs from year to year and that was a problem. They were surviving in all the leaf litter. I emptied all that this year. Also only put my plants into pots. Hoping that the lack of substrate will help keep their numbers down.

My current issues are frogs and tadpoles. Are they harmful to my fish or fry? There are hundreds of tadpoles. They're small now but I'm unsure if they would eat my fry or out compete them. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

you can reason this one out - what do tadpoles eat - and how big are their mouths? if you look closer you will see that they are tiny. they eat small bugs and algae. so no danger to fish fry, except from competition for the same food.
    a screen is the only way to deal with either bug without chemicals, or total drain and refill every few months, which defeats the purpose of tubs

I have half whisky barrel style containers outside, roughly 25 gallons. I have HOB filters on them, currently growing salvia in one and water lettuce in the other. They are in the shade 24/7, but I'm already noticing the water temps heating up quite a bit mid afternoon. How do those outside containers not get too hot for the fish in the 90+ degree weather?

Near Athens in the Oconee River Watershed
    not sure about half whiskeys, but in larger containers I recommend no circulation and water plants (I like hardy lilies but other things work). The shade form the plants and the depth of the water allow the water at the bottom of the tank (100 gallon stock tanks in my case) to stay cool. The water at the top is heated by the sun, but stays up there and the water at the bottom can stay cool. I added circulation one summer thinking I was doing a good thing and ALL he water became 90 degrees and killed all the fish.

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure my summer tub has bred more of these frogs than fish. They have been back year after year. This is by far their most productive year. Caught a pic of this one tonight. I think it's an American green tree frog. Also serves as Georgia's state amphibian. According to wiki it has clutches up to 400 and I definitely believe that. The first of the tadpoles now have back legs and their tails are starting to shrink. The smallest are still little peas.

Last edited by cswain123; 07-06-2018 at 08:56 PM.

yes, green tree frog. we have several other types as well. I have a lot of grey tree frogs here. its good to give them habitat too.