AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Put Out Containers with Fish?

Hybrid View

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar

Question When to Put Out Containers with Fish?

Hey all,

I have a new, very attractive container to put out on my patio. Is it too soon to put out my mosquitofish? I feel like we may have one more cold snap for the season, but... what would you do for your small native fish? Should I wait til Easter (April 1st?) Later?

Board Of Directors
    Hey Heather, I wouldn't do it yet. March can be a cold month. I'm waiting until mid April before I set mine up. I'm going to try White Clouds and maybe some Cory's, haven't decided yet. Good luck!

Near Athens in the Oconee River Watershed
    How deep is your container? Small natives do well outside. Most can survive a week or two under the ice if the container is sitting on the ground.

I'm going to add to this thread. Please let me know if I should move this to a new one instead. Rather than just when to put out containers, WHAT are you putting out? I don't have an outside set up, but would love to try it. Last outside run I did was a trio of A. cacatouides in the in ground water feature in FL. :)

Near Athens in the Oconee River Watershed
    100 gallon stock tank from Tractor Supply (about $60 last time I bought one). Hardy Water Lily. Enneacanthus Sunfish or Florida Flag Fish. Come to the meeting this weekend and we can talk more.

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this meeting. I need help with frog control...

Mine isn't as large as the stock tanks. I had good luck last year with my mosquitofish in a 10 gallon container with java moss, but I didn't get that set up until June because I didn't have the fish in hand. Given our current cold snap, I am VERY glad I asked and listened. My 10 gallon will just be mosquitofish -- if I wanted something larger for outdoor breeding, I do have a 45 gallon tote, and would be open to suggestions for both natives and ornamental fish...

I am just getting my tubs going.. I agree with waiting til April to add fish however ... still really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine sit outside year round and growing live food for me, I am harvesting mosquito larvae already this year. I clean them out in late March and stock depending on temps, Uruguay fish go out early as they are very cold tolerate and tropicals later in April
    An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste

Awesome, thanks Ken. Your observation allowed me to scratch my itch of wanting to set it up. I put a bit of light-colored sand in the bottom and crammed some Java Moss on top of it. Also drilled out some holes about an inch below the top to keep it from overflowing and washing out during our crazy summer thunderstorms.