AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Growing Angelfish....what to feed?

Growing Angelfish....what to feed?

Hey,
    I'm wanting to grow a couple angelfish a little bit faster than what I am seeing. I don't think I am currently optimizing their nutrition. Thought I'd go straight to asking the expert hobbyists here ...

thoughts...suggestions?
    "Fish recognize a bad leader." - Conan O'Brien

Angels need a high protein diet. I feed mine a good quality flake, freeze dried black worms and a really good granule. Just as important as quality food and often overlooked when growing out angels is water changes. If you want to grow out angels to their optimal size then this is necessary. My growouts get daily water changes. I'm quite often asked how I grow my angles so large and the answer is lots of good clean water. I really don't believe you can grow a fish faster than it is supposed to but you can certainly not grow them as fast as they should.
    Last edited by Larry Bugg; 03-05-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Larry, what type of granual do you like for angel grow-outs? I'm always looking for good foods to add into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by lindad View Post
    Larry, what type of granual do you like for angel grow-outs? I'm always looking for good foods to add into the rotation.
    I actually started feeding it to my juvie discus first. Forrest who is the exporter to Kenny's Discus started making his own food and selling it directly from Malaysia. I decided to give it a test and really like it so I have been buying from him ever since. It is high protein, my fish really like it and it comes in four smaller size granules. Smaller size can be really hard to find. The smallest he sells is powder size and works for new born fry. I buy the number 2 and 4 sizes.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Grade-Granules
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Thanks for that info! I have looked at Forrest's post on SimplyDiscus a couple times, but hadn't pulled the trigger on it. I feed my larger juvies and adults Al's Discus Chow (in addition to a couple different flakes) and have used Golden Pearls for fry, but really wanted something else to add in. Guess it's time to contact Forrest!

Thumbs Up

Thank you Larry !
    "Fish recognize a bad leader." - Conan O'Brien

Blog Entries
    There is one more thing that affect growth rates. Although angels come from soft, acid water, they can only grow as fast as their bones. Calcium in the water can help.