AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Newbie progress

Newbie progress

Got started back in February so I am roughly 3 months in. Attended the auction and had a blast. Did a little rescape with some of the plants I picked up. Thinking about ditching the dwarf sag and focusing on propagating the S. Repens more.

Really impressed with the association and how well the auction ran. Had a lot of fun being a runner checking out all the cool fish while meeting great people. Great group overall!

Criticism and feedback welcomed!

50gal long
    DIY citric acid C02
    Liquid all in one Ferts from aquarium co-op
    Current satellite led plus on 8 hour timer

Initial planting

Today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very nice. Let it all settle in, and then you'll know if changes are needed.

So glad you enjoyed the auction. Thanks for being a runner. It is a great way to participate in the action. Do come to the monthly meetings/activities, which in May will be the picnic at Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Let it all settle in
    So you aren't supposed to constantly mess with it everyday right when you get home? I'm sure my wife will appreciate that bit of wisdom!

Will definitely make it out to the events - looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensed View Post
    So you aren't supposed to constantly mess with it everyday right when you get home? I'm sure my wife will appreciate that bit of wisdom!

Will definitely make it out to the events - looking forward to it.

Thanks again!
    LOL. Looks great. Let things mature and grow, but well done. Beautiful.

Wow! You learn fast. That is one of the best scapes I have seen. Very nice natural arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very nice design! Generally yes, let the tank settle in. Some of the stem plants you have will need to be cropped to force side shoots to get a bushier plant should you desire that look. Plant the cuttings to also improve the lushness factor. S. repens will benefit from cropping and will spread. It won't form the smoothest looking carpet but it will be a good look in your design and relatively easy on the plant care scale. The red plant on the right, (ludwigia cuba maybe?) will also take well to pruning. Don't hesitate to go short, 4" or so, as you want those side shoots coming out lower on the stem. Remove dying leaves as they drain energy from the main plant. This video can give specifics on how and what to prune so you can keep your aquascape in balance as the CO2 and ferts accelerate growth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ZRE1y4jO4

Daily fussing is purely optional, but often relaxing and fun.

good luck!

Wow - really appreciate the kind remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedad View Post
    The red plant on the right, (ludwigia cuba maybe?)
    Supposed to be Rotala - picked it up at the auction. Will get to pruning this weekend then -
    Honey - the internet people said I need to work on the tank more!
    Thank you for that video, very informative. Didn't know about the trimming to promote thicker growth - seems so obvious now lol...

Thanks guys / gals.