AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 125g tank build

My 125g tank build

Not sure how well tank build activity is received on this forum, but I am so excited to finally have this tank!

This will be a bit of a slow go. It will be a heavily planted tank with rock (mostly from @Mot), driftwood, spider wood, some natural looking caves blended in for plecos and catfish.

First thing I need to decide on is filtration. Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome!

My thoughts are a canister filter, an HOB, and a couple power heads.

OR two canister filters and two power heads with sponges on the intake.

72 x 18 x 21

I need to decide which wall to place it on and get some support in place if the inner wall behind it in the picture. Unfortunately, the floor joists would be parallel to the tank in this optimum spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I love that stand! Looking forward to updates, but regretfully need to inform you that the giraffe will overstock it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
    Very nice. I love that stand! Looking forward to updates, but regretfully need to inform you that the giraffe will overstock it. :)
    Lol! Yeah, I will have to find another prominent spot for my giraffe. Thatís my Christmas present from my daughter. The den has a safari theme so it stays up all year and I just turn the lights on at Christmas time, lol.

I really like the stand too. That is one feature that helped me take the plunge.

Wow that is going to be killer. Could you build a sump in one of the cabinets? I personally wouldn't want any hang on backs messing up the aesthetics since it is a really pretty stand.

Going to do C02?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensed View Post
    Wow that is going to be killer. Could you build a sump in one of the cabinets? I personally wouldn't want any hang on backs messing up the aesthetics since it is a really pretty stand.

Going to do C02?
    Thanks!!

I donít think the cabinets are really big enough for a sump. I would have had to get a stand that was all the way across instead of divided like that. However, I have no experience with building a sump so was thinking canister filters.

I agree that an HOB would not look as good and it would be louder. I may need to start with one canister and my AC 110 HOB until the Black Friday sales roll around. It is a low profile filter. I want 2 fluval fx4 and they are not cheap.

I am pretty low tech for plants and have not gotten into CO2 (yet).

Ok, it makes sense to explain the planned stocking when asking for advice. I am replacing a double stack 45g and 30L that currently contains cooler temp fish that this new tank will house and be built around (also doing a little shuffling with my 26g (has krib and neons) to make that a shrimp and CPD tank).

So, the temp will be about 74 with the following initial stock (to be beefed up later):

1 kribensis
    1 bolivian ram
    6 von rio tetras
    7 neon tetras
    1 common bristelnose male pleco
    1 lemon blue eyed longfin male pleco
    4 lucipinnis synodontis (false petricola so maybe about 4" full grown)
    6 peppered cories
    Nerite snails
    Mystery snails (if compatible with krib - need to research that one)

Lots of room to add more later. The tetra schools and cory shoal will definitely be increased by a lot. Not sure if I will increase the synodontis or let the 4 live out their lives to be replaced with something else. I seem to gravitate to bottom dwellers and can quickly get overstocked so I gotta be careful with that.

May add another school of cooler temp tetras because this is one long tank with lots of real estate so 3 large schools may work and will provide lots of activity and color.

I really like the idea of not having an HOB on it, I thought maybe 2 fx4's might be a better setup long term. I could get one for one end and pop my AC 110 on the other end until Black Friday 1/2 off sales and just stay lightly stocked until then. Then get the 2nd fx4 and go crazy with getting the tank fully stocked.

revised reply
    Last edited by Mot; 05-05-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: new

Two FX4 would be plenty of filtration for this aquarium. It also gives you redundancy so when one fails it isnt an emergency. It will also add stability to service each filter every other maintenance so you are not distrubing both at the same time. This should be enough flow as well which is arguably more important in a planted tank than the added filtration. Ive been eyeing up the Oase biomaster cannister filters from overseas. I think they are a superior solution all around to the Fluval or Eheim choices we have but I have not been able to find a source here yet. Maybe get a prefilter for the FX4s to reduce the chore of having to open them as often and clean out the decaying plant matter and other wastes. Ideally yo4 would sump this but I see from the picture the challenges with the stand.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Two FX4 would be plenty of filtration for this aquarium. It also gives you redundancy so when one fails it isnt an emergency. It will also add stability to service each filter every other maintenance so you are not distrubing both at the same time. This should be enough flow as well which is arguably more important in a planted tank than the added filtration. Ive been eyeing up the Oase biomaster cannister filters from overseas. I think they are a superior solution all around to the Fluval or Eheim choices we have but I have not been able to find a source here yet. Maybe get a prefilter for the FX4s to reduce the chore of having to open them as often and clean out the decaying plant matter and other wastes. Ideally yo4 would sump this but I see from the picture the challenges with the stand.

Hope that helps.
    Yes, thank you!

That is exactly why I think 2 fx4 instead of one fx6. This is a long tank and needs the flow. I am also big on over filtration.

So, filtration is settled and I should be able to get at least one of the fx4 filters the first week of June. I plan to run the AC 110 until a big sale comes up to get the 2nd fx4 (likely black Friday).

I have bought two floor joist jacks and researching if more are needed. My son-in-law will install the support system for me. We are thinking two cross supports about 2' apart to get them set at about the 1/3 points under the tank. This is just as a precaution to ensure the floor will adequately support the weight of the tank since the joist run parallel under the tank instead of the optimum perpendicular. I also want to measure where the joists are and pull the tank far enough out that it has two running under it. Good subflooring and hardwood floor is on top, so I think we will be good with the placement.

I am still trying to decide if I will build up the substrate or just use the awesome rocks from Mot and plants to add depth and dimension. If I build up, I understand something like aqua soil and possibly crushed lava rock is advised to prevent anaerobic gas pockets.

Something else I am considering is whether I want to take the plunge into the scary world of pressurized CO2. I have only used liquid (excel) up to this point, but after fighting some ugly algae issues with my last new tank setup, I am rethinking how to start off right to keep this tank in balance. It will be heavily planted from the start so I really do not want all those plants covered in a brown diatom bloom or black beard algae. This is all foreign to me so I am struggling.

Any advice or suggestions regarding installing a CO2 system would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am evaluating reactor versus diffuser.