AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Summer Tub Time

Blog Entries

Summer Tub Time

I cleaned up my 125 gallon rubbermaid tub a couple weekends ago. Saturday and sunday I placed a few fish and plants in there. The weather definitely heated up over the past week. I put out a pair of long fin cherry barbs, 4 white cloud minnows, a pair of daisy rice fish, and a pair of dalmation mollies. For plants I put out 3 water lily bulbs, the kind you buy dry and then submerge. I have never planted any of those bulbs before but hopefully at least one will grow. I also put out 3 or 4 small amazon swords. All of the plants I put into separate pots and then placed them in the tub. I tossed in some ambulia to float and hopefully create a nice hide for fry. I usually place water hyacinth and water lettuce but they take over quickly and are such a mess to clean up. The water also never turns green with either of them in there. Hoping this year the water will turn since I'll hopefully have a lot of egg layer fry. I'll get a pic up when I can. Also planted some canna lilies around the tub, bulbs are 50% at home depot!

I've got some 20g totes laying around as well. Haven't filled them up or placed anything but I'm contemplating it. I would like to try out my threadfin rainbows and blue moscow guppies but not sure I want to risk them outside yet. I like looking at them too much right now lol.

The past couple years I've had really bad luck with dragonfly larvae and I really haven't gotten a lot of fry out of my tubs. I usually don't fully drain the tub but will just lower the water, net out all the debris and then refill it. This year i took out everything, including pots that were already in there. I got out tons of dragonfly larvae. I'm hoping to get a lot more fry this year. Last year they nearly wiped out my CPD's and kyathit danio, including my adult CPDs.

What is everyone planning/already put in their tubs this year? Any tips for keeping the dragonfly and their larvae away?

I have just recently learned that folks move their tropical fish outdoors during the summer months. I am intrigued and following along to learn. My knowledge has just been that folks keep goldfish in ponds outside.

i just put out 5 adult angelfish in my 800 gallon temporary pond. I will put out a few more this week. I should get several spawns i imagine. Water temp is at 82 in there now.

Blog Entries
    I definitely need an 800 gallon pond! I'm sure you'll have plenty of angels after a month or so. Plan to remove any fry once you notice them around dime or nickel size or wait til the end of summer? Putting out any guppies or other small livebearers with them to provide a nice food source?

Board Of Directors
    Mountainman36 I know you had a KOI pond. Did you add another for Angels then? If so, what materials did you use to construct it?
    Last edited by Stew55; 05-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.