AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Trouble with German Blue Rams

Trouble with German Blue Rams

Hello all,
    I have had a female GBR for a few months now and recently added a male.
    IMG_0441.jpg

They appeared to pair up right away and within the first week they spawned. This was rather surprising as the male looked to me to be pretty young. I'm not sure what age they hit sexual maturity but there you have it.
    (Here is the male guarding the eggs)
    IMG_0508.jpg

The male appeared to be eating fine, was chasing other fish off as they passed by - all good. I came down after maybe 2 days from when I noticed the eggs and found the male dead. Prior to this male getting added I had 2 other male GBRs die on me. Both shortly after acclimating (My water parameters did get away from me admittedly on the second one so I'll chalk that up as my fault) The first and third had good water and proper acclimation. The female is still going strong, super active - always bolts to the glass and follows me around the tank whenever I walk by or do anything in the tank.

The tank is a 50 gallon long, heavily planted.
    Here is the water test right after the third male died:
    IMG_0522.jpg
    PH hangs out between 7.4-7.6
    Weekly water changes between 30-50%
    Dosing Aquarium Co-op all in one and Seachem excel

Livestock:
    8 black neon tetras
    2 siamese algae eaters
    3 oto cats
    2 mickey mouse platys
    1 peacock gudgeon
    1 female GBR
    1 nerite snail
    6-10 amano shrimp

IMG_0574.jpg

So my questions:
    1. Why did the third male die? I don't have any other aggressive fish - could the female have killed him?
    2. Since this female is well established - what combination of sexes would be best if I wanted to add more rams?
    3. Would the female be OK if I kept her solo and went with bolivian or apistos?

Thanks all!
    Kris

What a quandary. It is always hard when they just up and die with no apparent reason, but three of the same fish. That is hard to figure out with your good parameters and water change schedule.

Only thing I can think of is high tds (total dissolved solids). Maybe get a tds tester to are where you are. Something may have built up in your water source that the female is used to, but the new males are having a hard time acclimating. There are many things we just donít or cannot test for.

Were you able to pull any of the spawn to raise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tfreema View Post
    Were you able to pull any of the spawn to raise?

No they got gobbled up pretty quickly without the male guarding them.

Iíll look into the tds.

Thanks!

Where did the makes come from? Pet store stock? I’ve never had problems with breeder stock from several AB sellers, but pet store GBRs invariably come inherently stressed, weak, and usually sick with something (especially ich).... they never did well.

As Igster pointed out, GBR that don't come from a trusted source quite often die. It could be that they came from bad stock to begin with. I am very particular where my GBR come from. I bought a lot of lfs GBR's over the years and most of the time had poor luck. It could be other reasons as well. I've had a lot of female cichlids kill the male but never with GBR. They can be quite aggressive when breeding but usually with other fish, not their mates. It looks like your Nitrates are on the high side? GBR are very sensitive to water conditions. Nitrates and bad bacteria from left over food can be harmful to them.

Rams mature very early, around 4 months old. Their lives are one of the shortest of the tropical fish we keep. 2 years is about it. If you are not interested in breeding then your best bet would be to keep males only. Otherwise, I wouldn't keep more than 2 pairs in a planted 55. They are going to spawn and aggression is going to be an issue. Most GBR make terrible parents and will eat the fry within 2 days of free swimming. If you are interested in breeding then you will need to pull the eggs and hatch them in a separate container. Place a 4" terra cotta saucer upside down in the tank and they will always lay on it. Makes it easy to pull the eggs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Penningt...6681/303422828
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Their lives are one of the shortest of the tropical fish we keep. 2 years is about it. If you are not interested in breeding then your best bet would be to keep males only. Otherwise, I wouldn't keep more than 2 pairs in a planted 55.
    Wow didnít know that. Iíve become quite fond of the female. Really like the personality and my daughters love her as well.

Appreciate all the info.

I think Iím feeding too much so will make adjustments there to keep the nitrates down.

Not sure what to do now. Iím not prepared to raise fry at the moment. Is there any harm in just keeping the single female?

Thanks again.

Nope, no harm and in a community tank you don't need to worry about raising fry.

One of my all time favorite fish!! They have a lot of personality.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast