AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Val and Java Moss just turned brown!

Val and Java Moss just turned brown!

Hi!

We have a 20 gal planted tank which we have set up as a more-or-less Amazon biotope. We have Val, Swords, Crypts, Anubias, Water Wisteria and Java Moss for plants. The other occupants of the tank are Dwarf Pencilfish, Pygmy Corys and Apistogramma MacMasteri. Everyone has been flourishing for several months up until a couple of days ago. Suddenly the Val and the Java Moss have turned brown! All the other plants are still healthy as are the fish.

Tank parameters: 20H tank, Estes Stony River black sand substrate, driftwood, RO water, a HMF filter across one end of the tank, root tabs for the rooted plants and semi-regular doses of Flourish and Excel. Water parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates about 20 and pH 6.2. Lighting: one Finnex Planted 24/7 24" unit.

The only thing we can think of that has changed recently was the application of antibiotics (Seachem NeoPlex and KanaPlex) starting about a week ago (one of the apistos had a damaged pelvic fin). Can these medications harm plants?

Any ideas about what has gone wrong?

(I have also posted this in the Planted Tank Forums)

Excel does not play nice is Val. Meds can cause issues with some plants.

Yeah, the first thing I thought was that you put excel in the tank. Have you always done that? Did you put more than usual? Unfortunately, I don't know about the medications, but I suppose that could have had something to do with it.

The only thing I'd worry about with NeoPlex and KanaPlex would be inverts and sensitive species based on info from Seachem. I'd stop the use of Excel with those plants. Please post when you figure it out. I'm curious. I've had vals and crypts have issues with excel, but not mosses.

Quote Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
    The only thing I'd worry about with NeoPlex and KanaPlex would be inverts and sensitive species based on info from Seachem. I'd stop the use of Excel with those plants. Please post when you figure it out. I'm curious. I've had vals and crypts have issues with excel, but not mosses.
    KanaPlex is safe with snails and shrimp. We've had some problems with Excel and stopped using it, it's really hard on some fish, too. It has Gluteraldehyde, which is some scary stuff. Seachem Flourish has done great for all of our plants. I cut off a 1-lb mass of java moss every month from our various tanks, and my Val in my display tank is over 6ft tall now. :)

Whoah didnít know excel would do that. Iíve been having trouble with my mosses. I wonder if thatís why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk