AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Anyone in the Alpharetta area avail to look at my tank (dieing fish)

Anyone in the Alpharetta area avail to look at my tank (dieing fish)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone lived/worked in the Alpharetta area that can come look at my tank. I have a freshwater South American tank -its been running for about 4 years. I lost 9 fish over the past 2 weeks, and 2 more upside down.

I took a water sample to PetSmart - who told me high nitrates - so I did 2 50% water changes, and added 1/4 tsp Seachem Safe. Not getting better.

I also have these weird particles to my blue gravel - can't aquarium gravel 'em up.

20180925_200423.jpg20180926_194223.jpg20180926_194736.jpg'

anyone help?

2 more died today. any ideas anyone?

I can take a look if you're available tomorrow afternoon, but I'm pretty sure my advice will be to start a massive water change routine. Do you have a re-agent test kit?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
    I can take a look if you're available tomorrow afternoon, but I'm pretty sure my advice will be to start a massive water change routine. Do you have a re-agent test kit?
    Okay, I think I am 3 days now w/o losing a fish. in terms of massive water change routine, can you outline how much and how frequently? I've done 2 50% changes over the past week.

RE: Re-agent test kit - that's a new term for me. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=reagent+testing+kit
    Any you recommend for me?

Thanks for responding. it was pretty bleak last week. These are all fish I bought from auction 3 out of the last 4 that were held (missed the last one)

Quote Originally Posted by jitster View Post
    Okay, I think I am 3 days now w/o losing a fish. in terms of massive water change routine, can you outline how much and how frequently? I've done 2 50% changes over the past week.

RE: Re-agent test kit - that's a new term for me. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=reagent+testing+kit
    Any you recommend for me?

Thanks for responding. it was pretty bleak last week. These are all fish I bought from auction 3 out of the last 4 that were held (missed the last one)
    Not sure exactly what Len would recommend for massive water changes, but if I had mysterious deaths occurring, I would do a minimum of 50% water change and if deaths continued, I would continue to do the water changes. Fresh water always has a positive impact on fish (shrimp on the other hand are a lot more sensitive to changes in conditions, so water changes on them should always remain in the 10-20% range).

Hope this helps.

Hey! Sorry I couldn't get down there. I had an unexpected issue to deal with. When I say "massive routine", I'm talking 75%+ twice a week until things are settled. What all do you add to your water? The white particles are the most peculiar thing to me.

Thanks, Len for coming last week- w/ the 80% water change last week and the 50% this week, things seem to have stabilized - the fish are back to swimming middle of the tank. Lost my last Lyretail Molly, but that's it.

All: per the Master Test Kit that Len told me to get, i was waaay red - 160 ppm for nitrates. the test strips I had didnt come close to that reading..