AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Royal Acara

Blog Entries

Royal Acara

Looking for advice on tank setup and breeding for a pair of royal acara. I had them in a 55g outdoors over summer and no breeding. They are in a 65 hex now. They're super shy. They come out only if the room is empty. As soon as I enter they dive into hiding. I originally had them with several other fish and the first night I had them they ate every fish that could fit in their mouth. Dither ideas appreciated too.

Anyone had success breeding them and getting them to be more bold?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since they’re soft water fish, I’d try some giant dianos as a dither. Not sure how to scape for these guys, but I’d probably use plants, driftwood and caves.

Blog Entries
    I've got them in with lots of java fern. Subdued lighting and they still tend to hide. I was thinking of giant Danios. May have to pick up a few and give it a try. I may try to hook up the rodi and start doing small water changes.

you may not want the giant danios...sometimes thats too much activity for shy fish. They are good most of the time tho...maybe large congo tetras? they arent as active. Id say rainbows but they are really active too. Large serpae or black skirt tetras may be ok.

Blog Entries
    I didn't think of congo tetras. Growing out some of those would be nice too.