AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Cracked tank

Blog Entries

Cracked tank

I have a 50g that has about a 3 inch crack starting from the top. Is there a way to fix the crack without having to replace the entire panel? Right now I am just using tape to hopefully keep the crack from getting bigger. Any suggestions would be helpful
    Proud Amateur fresh water aquarium owner and professional atlanta painting contractors

Won't the water volume force the crack to open more? How long has the crack been there?
    Working on building my own aquarium when I'm not working from home as a programmer for a sports betting software company. I need a good view when working!

Blog Entries
    It just noticed the crack a few days ago. I dont think it has gotten bigger. I am hoping that there is a solution like for car windshields that have cracks and they can be fixed without replacing the whole thing
    Proud Amateur fresh water aquarium owner and professional atlanta painting contractors

Blog Entries
    The one thing I've read of is covering the crack with another piece of glass on the outside and sealing the two pieces together. Ugly, but a lot easier than replacing the pane. I've also seen a giant bead of sealant covering the crack on the outside, but I believe this is more of temporary solution. If you go this route, start looking for a used tank online or a $/gallon sale and check the tank morning and night.

Blog Entries
    Watch craigslist for posts like this one : https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/f...890731599.html

I would get another tank and give away the cracked one to someone who doesn't need to put water in it. Like this one https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/f...870608879.html

The windshield repair is typically a methacrylic acid product. It does have great adhesion to glass and the same refractive index as glass, but you would need the tank completely empty and get the glass very clean to try it. Then let it cure completely, rinse thoroughly, and then leak test. In the meantime, you'd still need somewhere else to put your fish.

In the short term, I'd recommend you lower the water level to reduce stress on the crack and check to make sure the center-brace across the middle is not cracked also.
    Last edited by Demonfish; 05-20-2019 at 01:06 AM.

How's the crack? Did it get worse?
    Working on building my own aquarium when I'm not working from home as a programmer for a sports betting software company. I need a good view when working!