AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Looking at trying a medium sized/ larger cichlids

Looking at trying a medium sized/ larger cichlids

Hi Iíve decided to try keeping larger cichlids. Iíve kept angels, krobia, p. Pulcher and smaller species of cichlids. Very interested in getting eartheaters but I donít know to much about them. What size tank is recommended, what temperament do they have, can they have tank mates? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I think geophagus and gymnophagus are mild for cichlids, they do dig up all your plants as they sift the substrate. You can keep them with fish you'd keep with angels that don't fit in their mouths. I think you can keep the gymnos in a group in 55, but you need bigger for the geophagus. Ask Ken Davis, he's breed a lot of these.

Thanks! I donít think I have a 55 available now. I did get an odd sized tank. I think it is a 39 gallon glass back. Pretty tall. About 30 inches wide. My 55 is being used for a brackish tank now. I might have to go a different route then. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Maybe a littler cousin. like biotodoma cupido

Ok! I will do a little research! Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbletest View Post
    Thanks! I donít think I have a 55 available now. I did get an odd sized tank. I think it is a 39 gallon glass back. Pretty tall. About 30 inches wide. My 55 is being used for a brackish tank now. I might have to go a different route then. Thanks!

A 39 is a bit small for many medium to large cichlids. Most cichlids get a bit testy when in small quarters and will beat up on fellow tank mates for added space. Not to mention their growth might be stunted. Some medium size pairs might do well, but tricky part is finding a compatible pair in a smaller tank. Research is definitely needed as you have already indicated. Possible starting point is if you decide on going African or New World species.

Keep us updated on what you decide on.

I think, I am going to go with another smaller cichlid. Iíve never tried rams before so maybe that. Or maybe even a smaller acara or keyhole cichlid.

Blog Entries
    The latecara are the dwarves among the acara. Fairly plain until they spawn, then amazing guarding colors. Also nanacara. Very mild and a 30 would be plenty of space. A small jewel like H. cristatus would also be about right, of a pair of firemouths or another Thorichtys Firemouths (central american) can be kept with livebearers.

I also really like "rainbow cichlids" herotilapia multispinosa for a small acara-like fish. I read they were vegetarians, but I'm sure that is wrong, they ate every snail in a 55 without bothering my angels.

I have to agree with Tang fan, keep the fish small, since most cichlids guard a horizontal area, you'd have to stock it like a 20L if its 30in. a 30L if its 36". But I have a pair of veil-tailed angels in a 30H (24"). You can go bigger if you buy a mated pair.
    Last edited by Demonfish; 06-08-2019 at 11:16 PM.

So there are the dwarf acara. What about the larger acara in the family? Would they be to good.