AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Substrate

Question Substrate

I am going to be moving to Sandy Springs this year. Thus I will be setting up another planted tank.

I was wondering what is a good substrate to grow Lilaeopsis, micro sword ?

I prefer sand with root tabs. Either pool filter or black diamond blasting sand.

A lot of people like dirted, but I rearrange too much for that. It can get stirred up too easy. There are others that have fertilizer in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting! I didn't think anything would grow in black diamond blasting sand. What Ferts do u dose? Got a link to the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    Interesting! I didn't think anything would grow in black diamond blasting sand. What Ferts do u dose? Got a link to the tank.
    The one I just quoted you in is bdbs. I use nilocg dry ferts that I mix up. Their Thrive C product would work if I didn’t have so many dang tanks. Go to nilocg.com and hit me up if any questions. It was a big step for me to change to dry ferts, but once I did, it got easy fast.

For root tabs, I have used seachem flourish and nilocg. I think I like the seachem better.

Here is another one that has lots of plants in bdbs.

https://youtu.be/KIyPgLQQM_g

And here is my 120g that has pool filter sand.

Thank you tfreema!

Where did you buy the black diamond blasting? sand?

Tractor supply. Get medium grit.

Googling it prices were $25 for #10. Remembed had used it in 2010. Looked on addresses spread sheet and saw a notation on Northern Tool for it. Only found coal slag $25 for #10 on their website. Just called northern tool co and it is on sale for 4.99.
    Last edited by Hilde; 07-13-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Text

Googling it prices were $25 for #10. Remembed had used it in 2010. Looked on addresses spread sheet and saw a notation on Northern Tool website for it. In store have it 4.99 but only the fine grit. Guess I will have to go to tractor co. It is 29 miles from me but worth the drive, for $8.99
    Last edited by Hilde; 07-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.