AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a volunteer (or 12) in Dunwoody / Sandy Springs Area

Thumbs Up Need a volunteer (or 12) in Dunwoody / Sandy Springs Area

Hey folks! We have a couple of schools interested in having tanks setup and maintained in the area and need some help. We've received a very generous offer from Hunt at Petland for hardware so all we really need is a person or persons willing to donate an hour every week or two. I am going to be meeting with the administration this week or early next and would love it if we could say "yes, the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association would love to bring the joys of aquatic life into your classroom. We have multiple volunteers ready to assist".

Please PM me or reply here if you are interested or would like to know more. There is no reason that the best freshwater club in the Country shouldn't be able to maintain a few tanks in area schools, hospitals, Sr centers, etc. Can you help us to promote the club, the hobby, and good animal husbandry practices in the local community?
    Last edited by Mark; 02-07-2011 at 03:52 PM.

I would be interested in helping set up and maintain, particularly if the schools are for special need or underpriviledged children. My cell is 678-478-5828 - I'm retired so feel free to call me anytime. Mike Sherberger

Len, I live close to you - but work down 400 - and could setup a few times a month to (I assume) do WCs/rinse filters/scrape algae/whatever.

Happy to assist!

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    Hey folks, are we still doing this? What schools and other areas are there goodwill tanks set up at?

Hey Heather. We are still doing this. There are multiple tanks set up at Brandon Hall Academy which they now maintain on their own and one tank at the Forsyth County Senior Center that is maintained primarily by Marcie. The last school that had requested cancelled. I've been focused on other things lately and haven't solicited any recently because it is really best to start closer to the beginning of the school year. If you know of a school or other community entity that may be interested, please PM me and I will reach out to them. Likewise if you'd like to volunteer to help set up and maintain a tank in your area after the Summer.

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    Ah, cool. And sadly I don't have any specific schools or areas in mind. Weekend-only availabilty makes scheduling even more of a challenge. I guess just add me to your well-groomed list of potential volunteers!

This is a neat thread, I like the concept! Coincidentally a neighbor of mine who teaches 3rd grade at Roberts Elem in Suwanee asked if I could help her get her *tank* running (her tank is a 1 gal) so I have talked her in to letting me do a 10g instead (I'm no expert but I can set up a guppy tank pretty well) now I'm just searching CL for a decent setup at a good price. I figured I would stop by the school every other week for a pwc / gravel cleaning. Anyone have an idea of what to do w the tank over summer break? Move the whole tank or just bring the fish to my tank for the summer?

Blog Entries
    Either. Take the tank home, or take the fish and store the tank clean and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bswink View Post
    This is a neat thread, I like the concept! Coincidentally a neighbor of mine who teaches 3rd grade at Roberts Elem in Suwanee asked if I could help her get her *tank* running (her tank is a 1 gal) so I have talked her in to letting me do a 10g instead (I'm no expert but I can set up a guppy tank pretty well) now I'm just searching CL for a decent setup at a good price. I figured I would stop by the school every other week for a pwc / gravel cleaning. Anyone have an idea of what to do w the tank over summer break? Move the whole tank or just bring the fish to my tank for the summer?
    PM me. We should have everything needed for a basic 10G sitting around. I'd love to get more tanks into schools.

I teach in s. Fulton and have a tank setup in my classroom the students love. All it has is 7 tiger barbs but the students show a real interest in the fish and the maintenance of it all. If I read correctly, petland is providing supplies to assist with getting aquariums in the public eye. If this is still the case I'd love to get in the loop and see if I could get a show tank for the main office or the media center set up. Thanks.
    Ben