AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea on Restock

Idea on Restock

I moved a few months ago, well doing so we lost quite a few of our babies. I now have the males from each of my groups and one female. I don't know what to do...I can't find fish the same size as they are how do I go about filling my tank? The other problem is if I go to smaller unsexed I may be in a situation with to many males. How do I go about stocking ???? Help.....
    What I have left:
    1 MALE Metriaclima lombardoi Kenyi Cichlid
    1 MALE Melanochromis auratus African Yellow Auratus
    1 MALE and I belive 2 Females Pseudotropheus Crabro Bumblebee

What size tank?

Blog Entries
    Well there's alway the auction. Stray males usually go for $1, but sometimes the results can surprise you. Fish do sometimes come up in 'breeding groups' lots. Or can buy a bunch of small fish and take extra males out one by one. Though you can get a bag of 7 males and 1 female or even 8 males. Or you can go to Petland and pay real $ for big mbuna. Bring a cichlid book to the auction and come early. Or you can sell the females and go for a 'bachelor tank' of all males of assorted species.

I have a 60 gal tank

Bachelor tank is the way to go, I have 13 in a 65g and it's VERY entertaining. Good filtration and weekly water changes a must though.

If I went that way any clue on how to sell the females? Also anyone got a good link to info on a bachelor tank?

My tank with some info from people more knowledgable than me on their info

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=390886

I would see if Ken (fishfarm on the forum) might give you credit at Petland Dunwoody?

hmm...not a bad idea could just clear my tank and start over....does he do that often?

I have heard of him doing it, but I myself have not tried it.

Blog Entries
    Ask. Expect store credit only and not too much because people bring them 'assorted Africans' that have outgrown the tanks all the time for nothing. Mbuna sometime do good at our auction but often they do just terribly. A sure store credit can beat $1 bags.

But I do like to start over with a young group, especially in a smallish tank. The larger mbuna often seem to get meaner with every passing year.