AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (Cheap) Substrate??

That substrate looks great! Was it easy to plant the plants in it?

Quote Originally Posted by kwseiders View Post
    That substrate looks great! Was it easy to plant the plants in it?
    It was easy to plant stem plants, but for HC it was a pain and had to use tweezers (after all it died... :S).
    Its also a very good cap substrate for MTS (mineralized top soil)

I will use the same substrate for my next 75 gals but I will sift it to get the bigger rocks out of it, everything above 3-4 mm is going out.

Quote Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
    It was easy to plant stem plants, but for HC it was a pain and had to use tweezers (after all it died... :S).
    Its also a very good cap substrate for MTS (mineralized top soil)

I will use the same substrate for my next 75 gals but I will sift it to get the bigger rocks out of it, everything above 3-4 mm is going out.
    I am still plodding along - ordered some T5 bulbs online that were shipped today; next will be ordering plants. Nalu86 - That's the same stuff I got. I agree with your thought about sifting the larger pieces of gravel. I didn't, and we'll see how it goes. After spending 2 or 3 hours cleaning gravel, swatting mosquitoes who thought the bug spray was marinara sauce, and finally placing the gravel in the tank -- all the while "assisted" by a 4-yr old, . . . it's not happening this go-round, that's for sure.

So how about this - I happened to pass by the pet section at WalMart yesterday (needed some ph test strips) and noticed some bags of 3mm brown gravel -- they were 5# bags, for something like $3.50 each. Still much more expensive than getting 150# for $6.50, but cheaper than some alternatives. If someone wants a brown, very uniformly-sized gravel and doesn't mind paying a bit for it, there it is: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-5-lb/10324392 It doesn't appear that this one is epoxy-coated like some of the big-box-store gravels. I'd say the pieces are similar in size to BB pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by theaquarist View Post
    I am still plodding along - ordered some T5 bulbs online that were shipped today; next will be ordering plants. Nalu86 - That's the same stuff I got. I agree with your thought about sifting the larger pieces of gravel. I didn't, and we'll see how it goes. After spending 2 or 3 hours cleaning gravel, swatting mosquitoes who thought the bug spray was marinara sauce, and finally placing the gravel in the tank -- all the while "assisted" by a 4-yr old, . . . it's not happening this go-round, that's for sure.

So how about this - I happened to pass by the pet section at WalMart yesterday (needed some ph test strips) and noticed some bags of 3mm brown gravel -- they were 5# bags, for something like $3.50 each. Still much more expensive than getting 150# for $6.50, but cheaper than some alternatives. If someone wants a brown, very uniformly-sized gravel and doesn't mind paying a bit for it, there it is: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-5-lb/10324392 It doesn't appear that this one is epoxy-coated like some of the big-box-store gravels. I'd say the pieces are similar in size to BB pellets.
    The same gravel is for sale at home depot or lowes for a lot less and in bigger bags.
    That was my first substrate here in the states, Is a good gravel, but the colors of the fish don't show as much.

What exactly did you ask for to find that rock?

I went to Stone Forest this afternoon, and found that black-and-red gravel. Got three 5-gallon buckets full, for $6 + change. It's so nice that even my wife likes it!

I spent an hour cleaning one 5-gal bucket until the rain started; I'll get the rest on Sunday. Thanks so much for the tip.
    Knowledge without labor profits little .

Quote Originally Posted by TheFishTank View Post
    What exactly did you ask for to find that rock?
    When you go inside at the right of the sales desk there are couple of containers with gravel and sand in it, I think its called "River Gravel" or something like that (has been to long).
    They take you to the back and you can just scoop it yourself.
    Last edited by nalu86; 07-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Sand-Stone supply company in Douglasville has "River Sand" at $1 per 5-gal bucket.
    I got a big bag of river sand at Nature's Supply Center for $3. At 4419 Floyd Road, Mableton, GA 30126 (678) 398-6788.
    Last edited by Hilde; 07-29-2011 at 02:02 AM.

The rock from Stone Forest looks like Flourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
    Last edited by Hilde; 07-29-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Hey Everyone! I've been offline for a while, but wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who helped me find the gravel, etc. My tank has been going for a couple of months, and I'll offer an update. Maybe it'll help someone.

I've found the gravel that we've been discussing, to be somewhat less than ideal for plants -- at least, the batch I got. I think that plants would prefer smaller grain/pebble size, and perhaps more rounded grains. My sample contains a lot of flat gravel - you could compare it to crushed flint.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means a skilled aquarium plant guy. This 120-gal is my first attempt at a true planted tank. Usually I keep cichlids and surround them with whatever plants they won't mangle.

Someone had asked for photos of the tank when I had it set up. Here's a link: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/19005...630290_TcN6Z6p

--Dwayne

So did you get fluorite or go to Stone Forest ?