AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: BAP for inverts- quick question

BAP for inverts- quick question

We have a breeding group of Tylomelania sp. Poso orange that have had a couple of babies so far. I'm just curious about how BAP works for a species that breeds extremely slowly and has only one baby at a time. Do we need to wait to turn them in until we have at least 5 juveniles, like we do for fish? At this rate it will be another year... lol.

Are they hermafrodite like most snails? I'm thinking if a person getting those 2 offspring will have a chance on breeding them. If not, then it defeats the purpose of the submission. If yes, then go ahead and enter those two and we will continue to accrue for say 4 or 6 individuals entered as "pairs" in order to collect your points. If that species is in fact hard to breed should also give you more points that we have been giving for other inverts.
    Mother Nature thanks for being such a good mom!!

No, they are not hermaphroditic. They require a male and female to reproduce but are impossible to sex unless you catch a female in the act of popping out a baby snail, as far as I am aware.

Similar question, I have some assassin snails that are reproducing. Do they qualify for BAP and if so, what's the point value? I suppose a similar question also pertains to shrimp.

Also, if the assassins do qualify, where is the line drawn? I am pretty sure that pond snails and most likely trumpet snails do not qualify.

Thanks for the help.

Easy species usually count like 5 points; your Kribs and Pond Snails. Harder species count for a lot more.
    - Jeremy

as far as I know, ALL critters will count towards BAP. I have points for pond snails, ramshorn, and MTS.
    Ben Schilling
    Cavender Creek Aquatics
    ALA Member

Quote Originally Posted by schillbw View Post
    as far as I know, ALL critters will count towards BAP. I have points for pond snails, ramshorn, and MTS.

So what you all are telling me is that I need to collect/gather 5 pond snails to turn in for BAP instead of crushing them to allow my angels to eat. I believe my angels will be very disappointed in me doing that - they appear to love the treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangfan View Post
    So what you all are telling me is that I need to collect/gather 5 pond snails to turn in for BAP instead of crushing them to allow my angels to eat. I believe my angels will be very disappointed in me doing that - they appear to love the treat.
    Yep. Collect up 5 (or more) and bring them to the auction. Someone with puffers or loaches will generally even pay a buck or two for them.

BAP for inverts- quick question

Another question along similar lines:
    I'm curious if aquatic live foods count, as many are easily bred? Like Daphnia, Scuds, Blackworms, Vinegar eels....

Where is the line drawn?
    Last edited by Tropical; 04-24-2016 at 08:56 PM.