AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Mikrogeophagus ramirezi Breeding

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi Breeding

Was happily surprised last night seeing my female blue Ram guarding eggs. I went online and read quite a bit of "horror" stories that keeping the fry is quite a challenge.
    Here is what I learned:
    Ideal temp: 81 - 82 F
    dH, kH as low as possible (mine is 3)
    ph: 6.2 - 6.8 (i'm at 6.6).
    When fee swimming feed them lot of brine shrimp... 50% WC daily because of TDS (mine 90).

Is the above info. correct? What may have been missing? Any tips to keep as many fry well and growing?

TY,

Pierre

Most of my fish-buddies have successfully started them on microworms.

They are ok with live bbs. Little bit slow in the beginning but they will be fine.

Not sure what the "a lot of bbs" part means but make sure not to over feed. A little less is probably safer.

Blog Entries
    microworms are great. You have the idea, warm, clean water, and really small food.

I feed them infusoria for first few days when they are freeswimmers. Then I feed microworms, after 1 - 2 weeks of freeswimming I give them BBS.
    Keep them in a plastic shoe box with some moss for the first month (easy to feed and clean). Then move them to a 10-20 gal. after 3 months make sure they have hiding places and a bigger tank, they will start being territorial. After 4 months I had eggs from my fry.

Don't breed to many of them, do it to keep for yourself, Trying to get rid of them in the ATL area seems to be a pain, sins I still have 60 fry out of 80.

Bring them to the monthly meetings for the auction. I have never seen anyone get no bids on blue rams. Always go for a decent price. David

Quote Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
    I feed them infusoria for first few days when they are freeswimmers. Then I feed microworms, after 1 - 2 weeks of freeswimming I give them BBS.
    Keep them in a plastic shoe box with some moss for the first month (easy to feed and clean). Then move them to a 10-20 gal. after 3 months make sure they have hiding places and a bigger tank, they will start being territorial. After 4 months I had eggs from my fry.

Don't breed to many of them, do it to keep for yourself, Trying to get rid of them in the ATL area seems to be a pain, sins I still have 60 fry out of 80.
    Nalu86: What water pH did you have and how often water change? My concern is that the tap water here is about 8 and right now they are in a 6.6 pH and do not want to shock them with too many WC.

Use water from the parents tank.....any waste must be removed from fry container...I try to do it twice a day when I have time

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Nalu86: What water pH did you have and how often water change? My concern is that the tap water here is about 8 and right now they are in a 6.6 pH and do not want to shock them with too many WC.
    Don't do WC in the first month or so. Only vac the dirt out. (after feeding or 2x a day with turkey buster or air hose) And fill back up with water out of the parents tank or water that sits for 24h and dechlorinated.

Your tap water should be the same as mine or almost the same. After 24h ph drops from 7.6-7.8 to 7, if you let it sit.

I feed BBS right from the beggining. GBR fry are big enough to eat them. I do use the SF brand which is said to be a little smaller. I normally pull the eggs or wigglers from the parents but with my current batch I pulled the parents instead. I like to keep GBR pairs in planted 20H tanks. Since I just moved my fish room I happened to have a couple of 20's that hadn't been filled yet. I planted one of them and moved the parents out when the fry were about 5 days free swimming. This was the easiest way yet. So there are about 100 fry at about a month old. I'm doing 50% water changes about every 4 or 5 days but I am using aged water.
    Larry Bugg
    AAAA BOD Member
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast