AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Go at a Planted Tank

Quote Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
    Are the roots of the anubias in the gravel/sand?
    If they are, the anubias will die or the roots will start rotting.

Anubias should be tied/ glued to rocks/ driftwood or other deco piece.
    The thick horizontal rhizome (looks like a thick stem that the leaves grow out of) does have to be above ground, but the actual roots (1mm diameter, actually look like roots) can be buried in the gravel with no problems, I have grown anubias this way for years. They will in time send roots deep into the gravel.
    Plants, plants, and more plants...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan73 View Post
    Thats not driftwood, its a rock. haha. but I get what you are saying. I'm looking into some manzanita wood.

Oops , sorry it looks like a stump ha ha ! The more i look at the "path" the more i want one !

Quote Originally Posted by geotek View Post
    The thick horizontal rhizome (looks like a thick stem that the leaves grow out of) does have to be above ground, but the actual roots (1mm diameter, actually look like roots) can be buried in the gravel with no problems, I have grown anubias this way for years. They will in time send roots deep into the gravel.
    Anubias is perfectly happy with the roots in the substrate as long as the rhizome is not buried. I've got some planted now with the rhizome & leaves above the substrate and it's flowering.