AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aged Water

Here is what I found about UV and dechlorination: http://halmapr.com/news/hanovia/2008...-neat-package/

OK... Seems that Prime (which I used in the past) seems a pretty inexpensive way to deal with Chloramine (I read that sodium thiosulfate does not). Seems that Prime treats 20,000 Gal. with a 2 liter bottle (less than 25 cents / 100 Gal). So it seems that I convinced myself to go back with Prime ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
    If you are only replacing 30-50% water, you can use cold water out of the tap, but first add Prime or Safe (prime in powder form) to the volume of the tank.
    Nalu: Just to make sure I understand what you are saying:
    1 - remove let's say 25% of the water
    2 - Add the amount of Prime to the tank to reflect the water you will add
    3 - Add water directly from tap to tank.

If that works, that is great because 15 tanks takes a while with buckets or I need several large trash containers to have enough water with a pump.

Thank you for confirming the above steps.

Blog Entries
    So only "high light" UV will "break the chloramine bond" which means you still need to deal with chlorine.

Blog Entries
    If you add the Prime directly to a tank, not a bucket or water pre-treatment container, you use more. Use dose the Prime based on the size of the container. So in a 30 gallon tank, you dose for 30 gallons even if you are only replacing 10 gallons with clean water. Some fish really don't like unaged water, but most tolerate it well if the temp is close.

1 - remove 10 - 50% of the water.
    2 - Add the amount of Prime or Safe to the tank for the total volume to the tank.
    3 - Add water directly from tap to tank.

Tip, Safe is a lot cheaper! and works the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfish View Post
    If you add the Prime directly to a tank, not a bucket or water pre-treatment container, you use more. Use dose the Prime based on the size of the container. So in a 30 gallon tank, you dose for 30 gallons even if you are only replacing 10 gallons with clean water. Some fish really don't like unaged water, but most tolerate it well if the temp is close.
    I have always added Prime only for the amount of water I am replacing, not the entire volume of the tank. Since it is only removing chlorine from 10 gallons, even though the container holds 30, I have always just put in for 10 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by kwseiders View Post
    I have always added Prime only for the amount of water I am replacing, not the entire volume of the tank. Since it is only removing chlorine from 10 gallons, even though the container holds 30, I have always just put in for 10 gallons.
    The directions from Seachem call for you to dose for the entire tank, not just what you are replacing. I'm pretty sure they have a reason for this other than getting you to use the product up faster.......you think?

I have 2 x 330 gallon storage totes. I age primiarily for temperture control and PH. The fishroom is in my unfinished basement and I don't have hot water plumbed there. I have one of those round flat air stones that put out tons of bubbles in each of the totes. My experience is that the water is chlorine free in 24 hours but I do normally use Safe to stay on the safe side. Seachem Safe is so cheap so why not. I do ocassionally forget to add it and have never had any ill effects.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Thank you all for your feedback. Now here is a crazy idea as I look to spend less time with my WC: what do you think if I were using a Garden Bose Feeder Sprayer and put the Safe in it? Would that do the trick to make the water safe? Maybe it is a question I can ask Seachem support.

As explained by a Seachem rep a year or so ago when I asked about dosing for the water volume versus amount of new water. I was told that it's due to dilution. The amount of Prime that gets diluted into the water volume can conceivably not be strong enough to remove everything intended. I'd imagine, the smaller the tank the smaller the risk.