AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED lights in a planted tank?

Question LED lights in a planted tank?

So I have been getting a lot of mixed reviews, and just want to get as many as I can before I invest...

Right now I have a 15g planted tank (hornwork, anibus, swords, hygro) and I have a T8 light on it. Getting decent grown, have to trim the hygro and hornwort weekly. I want to upgrade my light though. I do not use CO2, but I dose liquid carbon and use fert tabs.

My choices right now are http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Aquarium-...item20cd464e89 using the T5 48w 2 flor bulbs or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-24-HI-65...item19db82f5d2

I have read mixed posts about LED's and plants...

Anybody have any thoughts/experiences?

Blog Entries
    I've recently been changing my low tech tanks with finnex fugeray LEDs and I couldn't be happier.

I have just been reading a lot about the beamworks LED's...a lot of people say they are not good, cheaply made, and stop working after 10 months, but a lot also say they are great. I just hate to invest in it and it doesn't work lol.

Blog Entries
    Not sure where you're getting bad reports on the beamworks...I've switched ALL my tanks to them, and for months havent had so much as a whimper out of any of them.

They run cool, and are dependable. I have some of them over a year now...

Quote Originally Posted by jmcman831 View Post
    I have just been reading a lot about the beamworks LED's...a lot of people say they are not good, cheaply made, and stop working after 10 months, but a lot also say they are great. I just hate to invest in it and it doesn't work lol.
    The 'other' Larry

That makes me feel better. I have some time to think about it as I need to save up for whatever I get. Any recommendations for a 15g tank (24" long x 12" wide x 12" deep)

http://inspiredled.com/ultra-bright-...D-strip-lights

I built a wooden top to that 75 I am setting up and stapled a strip of these to it.

Will let you know how it works out.

Blog Entries
    The "rumors" on beams work lighting started in 2008 I believe, when somebody's Ballast on a T5 fixture went up in flames . It was posted on a popular forum and has turned people against them ever since. For all we know that persons cat might have pee'd on it whilst they were at work and caused it to spark/smoke .
    I've seen Larry's setups all with beamswork LEDs and have to say they look great ! I still use a 4 year old T5 beamswork fixture that runs 10 hours a day without any issue ..... I also don't own a cat either lol

Blog Entries
    LOL!
    (no cat here either. Just fish and birds.)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
    The "rumors" on beams work lighting started in 2008 I believe, when somebody's Ballast on a T5 fixture went up in flames . It was posted on a popular forum and has turned people against them ever since. For all we know that persons cat might have pee'd on it whilst they were at work and caused it to spark/smoke .
    I've seen Larry's setups all with beamswork LEDs and have to say they look great ! I still use a 4 year old T5 beamswork fixture that runs 10 hours a day without any issue ..... I also don't own a cat either lol
    The 'other' Larry

Quote Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
    Haha well that all makes sense now!! Since I dont have a cat, I should be fine then! :P

Quote Originally Posted by jmcman831 View Post
    I am liking the LED. For with it you won't have to inject Co2. If I weren't over budget with this hobby I would get it.

Another interesting 1 suggest to me by somewhatshocked is a Current USA Satellite
    Freshwater LED http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...161026&page=26 post 389

The other Larry had a Marineland LED light strip and said it only lasted a few months.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...026&highlight=
    Last edited by Hilde; 06-27-2013 at 09:19 PM.