AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Cichlids that bring a lot of money being sold

Cichlids that bring a lot of money being sold

I am looking to branch out from breeding my electric yellow labidochromis.

What kinds of cichlids out there fetch the largest price?

Quote Originally Posted by azcichlidbreeder View Post
    I am looking to branch out from breeding my electric yellow labidochromis.

What kinds of cichlids out there fetch the largest price?
    As my father would have said a thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it . That said I personally only deal with the African side , and increased price means increased money for stock . F1 moba frontosa's command a higher price but wild fish will run you between 100 to 265 a peace . Tropheus can at times bring good money , but really they can be a major pain in the ##%#@ . Or you could buy a nice group of cheap bread and butter fish ( insert name ) youngsters and build your way up . Just the rambling of a old man .

Blog Entries
    The most PITA slow-growing fish are the only ones that will even pay for the food you feed them. The most expensive parents make the most expensive fry. Nice Tropheus, top-end discus, shell-dwelling tanganyikans (because small batches make them unprofitable for farms). Call Ken and other stores and ask what he is actually looking for (whatever is dying when in comes in from the wholesalers). Check sales prices on aquabid. Atlanta is a small market, a single tank can supply all of one species that you can sell in a year. Even apistos can saturate the market. But in general, the small fish that have small broods get better prices than fish that mass produce themselves.

Note that GA has some weird laws. Food fish need a license from the dept of Agriculture and restrictions on which meds you use. Pet fish are regulated like dogs with a need to be treated "humanely" (they inspect and test water) and a license from the people who license dog and cat breeders. A single spawn can push your over the limit intended to allow you a few litters. While I haven't observed anyone actively prosecuting small sales on aquabid or craigslist, stores can and do avoid paying cash for fish from "hobbyists". Often store credit is the best you can do and many chains won't pay at all.