AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Driftwood?

Blog Entries

Driftwood?

hello,

I'm planning to set up a 65 gallon dirted and heavily planted tank in the next few days. I realized today I'd probably want some driftwood to break up the plants a little bit. There's a creek and pond behind my house so I poked around back there today and found a few pieces of what I'd call driftwood. This is my first tank so I'm not really sure of what I have. It's light colored and somewhat soft. I'm worried if it will just degrade in my tank or if it might be harmful. Also I'd rather not use it if if you think it's going to be an over load on my new tank as far as cycling is concerned. Both pieces are water logged and neither of them float. Cows and other animals drink the water so I don't think the water itself is harmful. Any thoughts are appreciated.

First post other than intro, wooohooooo!!

Trying to add photos but it won't let me attach them but I think this link will work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1144310...7639775447955/
    Last edited by cswain123; 01-14-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar
    My suggestion is going to be try soaking it in a separate container for a few weeks before adding it to the tank. I've found that a lot of the waterlogged pieces of wood from rivers and lakes around here become very fluffy or slimy when they start growing mold. Are the pieces small enough to boil? I know some folks that will do that with larger pieces in a heated 55 gallon drum!

Blog Entries
    They aren't small enough to boil. I could probably do the soaking for a couple weeks but I would probably have to do that outside so I don't know if it would help. I wish I had a clean 55 gallon drum to boil in lol. That'd be a sight for sure. I do have access to some big cast iron pots and propane burners though. I might could boil one end of it then flip it around and boil the other end. So it is mold spores already in/on the wood I'm needing to kill?

I would worry about the wood if it is soft. That means it is decomposing, and it will continue to decompose in your tank. Driftwood should be hard, even when it is waterlogged, for use in aquariums. Now if it just has slimy stuff on it, and you can clean that off, and the wood underneath is hard, that might work. However, you should look for pieces that are hard, they will last longer in your tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses guys! :)

I'm probably going to abandon these two pieces. I've been reading and doing a little more research and I don't think these two smaller pieces are worth the risk. Ksweiders I'm definitely going to just wait and try to find some pieces that are hard. Most online sites and videos I viewed suggested you start with dry pieces anyways and if you do want to use a water logged piece to let it dry out first. On to the next hunt driftwood I guess :)

When I have driftwood I think I might want to use in my tanks, and it's dry, I throw it in the outside pond to get water logged. Then when it is water logged and sinks, I make sure it is still hard. I had one piece that looked great, but when it got water logged is turned soft, and I had to not use that, it would have decomposed too quickly in the tank, and that makes a big mess. Keep looking! You will find the right piece.