AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cO2 Regulator

I have a question. I have a Red Sea cO2 regulator. It regulates the flow of cO2 from my 20 pound tank for two tanks worth of cO2, then it stops regulating. The first one I had I used for about 6 months, then it stopped working. I cannot limit the pressure of the cO2, the pressure builds up until the air hose pops off the connection. So I called the company, and they were real nice about replacing the cO2 regulator. I just changed the cO2 tank (the second one on this regulator) and now it no longer regulates the pressure of the cO2. Of course, if the company keeps replacing the regulator every 6 to 8 months, I won't mind so much, but I doubt they will continue to do that.

What cO2 regulator do you folks recommend? I hate to pay about $100 for a regulator that only last 2 tanks of cO2. It kind of increases the cost of dosing the tanks. So, I would like to buy a regulator that will last at least past the time of the warranty. At least 4 years or so. So, let me know what regulator I should get. If I could get one locally, that would be nice, but I suppose the plants will not die while I wait for the regulator to arrive via mail.

I am anxiously awaiting your suggestions. Not that I want to put any pressure on you (get it? pressure? Man I crack me up!). Thanks.

What pressure do you put on either side? (In other words what is the PSI rating on both gauges?) And you don't need a solenoid on it I assume?

Personally I have had no problems with regulators from mcmastercarr, but they aren't cheap. (There are a ton of different types so you really need to know what you want/need before you buy.)

the pressure of the cO2 tank side reads about 800-1000. The pressure coming out of the low pressure side is about 20 psi. That goes into the manifold that in turn powers 5 tanks, which get varying bubble rates depending on the tank. These Red Sea regulators work fine, but have to be replaced every year, that just seems excessive to me. And throwing it against a brick wall doesn't loosen it and make it work (or so I've heard).

victor dual stage and don't look back.Donny

The best of my three regulators is a victor dual stage also. Got it on ebay for about $50. They aren't as easy to find cheap as they used to be though.
    Larry Bugg
    AAAA BOD Member
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman
    The best of my three regulators is a victor dual stage also. Got it on ebay for about $50. They aren't as easy to find cheap as they used to be though.
    They are getting hard to find.I have 2 extras regulators,20 gallon tank(full) and 5 gallon tank (full) that I will sell>>>Donny 770-868-1934shop

I've used many different brands of regulators, some specifically marketed for aquarium applications and many not. Currently on my aquariums I use Milwaukee Regulators, mainly because I bought them cheap and they included a solenoid. I've had no problems.

If you aren't going to be using a pH controller (and therefore a solenoid), I would go double stage. People like Victors because, as far as double stage regulators go, they are less expensive(especially used) and dependable.

If you are interested in using a controller, the controller/solenoid will handle any ill effects caused by end of tank dump associated with double stage regulators.

If you can find a Victor double stage for $50, buy it. You can always pick up a solenoid later for $20 or less.
    Jeffrey
    http://jeffs120.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I concur with Donny. I been using a used Victor dual stage CO2 regulator for 9 years now and it had to be at least that old when I got it. It has never failed.

Brian

Ken,

Why don't you try getting a regulator at a welding supply company? They're usually pretty rugged and durable. I've never had trouble with the ones I've used in the past.

Regards,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ChloroPhil
    Ken,

Why don't you try getting a regulator at a welding supply company? They're usually pretty rugged and durable. I've never had trouble with the ones I've used in the past.

Regards,
    Phil
    Most welding supply places sell Victor Regulators, so if that's they way you decide to go, you can buy locally.
    Jeffrey
    http://jeffs120.blogspot.com/